The Global Framework Agreement with Bentley underlies Shell’s ProjectVantage program, a multi-vendor integrated data-centric approach to capital project delivery.
This industry-leading program is aimed at delivering safer and better projects faster by:
- improving cross-discipline and supplier collaboration;
- controlling data throughout the capital project lifecycle; and
- applying standards and enabling replication.
Shell selected ProjectWise ConstructSim as the foundation of its construction management solution to:
- enhance its ability to visually plan and execute work safely, avoiding premature mobilization and downtime and removing constraints that can impact safety, logistics, materials, labor availability, permits, and documentation;
- ensure more effective “engineering readiness” through the application of advanced work packaging to improve constructability; and
- improve field productivity, which optimizes schedule reliability, maximizes time on tools, increases safety, and mitigates risk, resulting in substantial cost savings.
Greg Bentley, Bentley Systems CEO and executive sponsor of the company’s Shell relationship, said, “Shell deserves credit for leading the energy industry to find innovative ways to continue to improve the affordability of capital projects, through the efficiency and predictability achievable through CII’s Advanced Work Packaging playbook. By championing AWP through ProjectVantage for its own projects, Shell is also helping their EPCs toward project delivery performance breakthroughs—leveraging software technologies and cloud services, for the benefit of every project. Shell’s experience to date in applying 4D and 5D initiatives on major projects corroborates both CII’s findings about productivity gains attainable through AWP, as well as ProjectWise ConstructSim’s contribution.”
Martin Swaine, Shell 4D/5D programme manager, said, “Shell has been pleased with the trend of benefits seen during our projects’ increasing use of ProjectWise ConstructSim. Together with Bentley, we look to build on these improvements with our supply chain to collectively deliver safer and better projects.”
Bentley’s ProjectWise ConstructSim
ProjectWise ConstructSim for advanced work packaging enables project delivery teams to provide visibility into the path of construction and manage the complete work package lifecycle. Users quickly create engineering, construction, and installation work packages by immersively interacting with data-rich 3D models and drive construction based on schedule priorities and the sequencing needs of field installation. In addition, users plan work based on the actual availability of materials and resources and visualize the installation process before work begins to reveal constraints and mitigate risk. ProjectWise ConstructSim turns project data into construction tasks automatically and facilitates the integration of data from design models, engineering management systems, schedules, estimates, and ERP systems for enhanced control of crew tasks and schedules. Its reports and intuitive dashboards provide project insight into work packages, crews, and overall project performance, connecting, via mobile devices, the engineering office, the construction site, and teams in the field.
Shell’s ProjectVantage program
Watch this video for more information about Shell’s ProjectVantage program.